Sailing Season 2012


MaChusla spent the winter in her slip so there were no major preparations or obstacles for beginning the season.  Nonetheless, there is always a "to do" list and that list is magical because it never gets much shorter or goes away completely. No matter how many items get completed and crossed off, more items are added.  Add to that the interesting fact that any given task usually takes 10 times the amount of time that one thinks it will take.

I spent a few weekends this spring doing a number of small tasks the biggest of which was getting the topsides thoroughly cleaned.  She was ready to sail but sat at the dock for two weekends before I could find someone to crew.  For those of you not familiar with sailing, "crew" is a person or persons who "participate in the sailing experience" <smile> including getting the boat in and out of the slip.

The weather over the Memorial Day weekend was beautiful.  I found crew, MaChusla slipped her lines and got out on the Bay for the earliest sail of the year since I have owned her.  


Beautiful little schooner. The seas were rough enough that getting a "clean",
crisp picture was difficult. Her name is Celebration.
The end of a good day.


So what happened to the rest of 2012?  Extremely hot weather combined with little if any wind through much of June and July plus a broken main sail furler that took FAR to long to get repaired.  Once I found the folks who were familiar with that unit, Atlantic Spars in Annapolis, it took less than 2 weeks to assess, order the part and complete the repair.

I was able to get out on the water a couple of times late in the season before Hurricane Sandy came calling. After prepping the boat for the hurricane it didn't seem worth it to undo everything for the remaining couple of weeks before haulout.

So, a bit discouraging but I'm already thinking positive thoughts about the 2013 season.  Maybe, just maybe this will be the year for the long trip that I've wanted to take for the past 2 years.


Ready for Sandy.  It's difficult to see in the picture but everything on the interior and exterior of the boat that will move or flap has been tied down or secured in some manner. The shore power line (yellow) was removed prior to closing up.  It's also good practice to take a number of photos inside and out (notice the doubled dock lines and extra fenders) just in case there is damage.  The pictures make matters much easier when dealing with an insurance adjuster. 

Fortunately, the heart of the storm made a last minute turn to the northwest. There was high winds, rain and high water but there was no damage at the marina.  The marina staff are there 24/7 during a weather event and they are very experienced at making line adjustments and doing whatever is necessary to protect boats from damage. 

Storm moving in.

Back To New Direction Index