I rode to Visalia on Sunday. It's about 260 miles (4 hours) away. I have a long time friend down there who called me Sunday morning, crying and upset about the night before. So I decided she needed a Harley ride.
I picked her up and we rode 20 - 25 miles to the entrance of Sequoia Nat'l Forest, had a glass of wine and went back to her house. I rode back to Sacramento Monday morning (a little late for work).
Along the way:
- I had a lock that I kept in a pouch strapped with a normal, bag type (under-over-under) strap on a side rail of the bike. Somewhere along the line the strap unthreaded itself (from the vibration) and fell off. $19
- I put a windshield on the bike Saturday and of course the air dynamics changed. I had cigarettes and sun glasses in my shirt pocket coming back from the forest. It's never been a problem before but since the windshield causes low air pressure and turbulence behind it, at about 60 mph they flew up and over my head. Since it was nearly dark I just let 'em go.
Sunglasses - $20
Cigarettes - $3.50
- The next morning I got on the freeway to come home and forgot I had cigarettes in my pocket. At 60 mph they flew. Since I was on the freeway I let 'em go. $3.50
- I stopped after about 2 hours and bought another pack, smoked one, put them back in my pocket and started out again. Traffic was getting heavy due to rush hour. At 60 mph, just after I got past the bottom of the on ramp, they flew. $4.00 - freeway prices
- The Harley sweats oil out of everything so everything from the motor back was oil covered.
- I got BUGS all over my brand new windshield!! This is good because they would have been all over me!
- The vibration is such that I had to push my feet rather hard against my foot pegs (forward controls and chrome pegs without rubber coating) to keep my foot from slipping off the peg (sure to cause a bit of a wobble at 70 mph), so my feet hurt right where they were on the pegs.
- The forward controls do not allow me to stand up a little to re-arrange my butt while riding so my hips and a** got a bit sore.
- Sun and wind burns, but no bugs in the teeth!!
All in all, a highly successful, if a bit expensive, ride.
By the way, it did make my friend feel much better. So it was worth it!!
Copyright Tom Macom